ID #4740, (1597-1672)
|Father||John Edward Underhill b. circa 1574, d. 1608|
|Mother||Honor Pawley1 b. 1575, d. 18 Dec 1658|
|Relationship||9th great-grandfather of Linda Sargent|
John Underhill was born on 7 Oct 1597, in Baginton, Warwickshire, England.2 He married Helena Heijlken de Hooch on Tuesday, 12 Dec 1628 in the Hague, Netherlands.3 John immigrated on 7 Apr 1630 He was called Capt. John Von der Hyl by the Dutch. He accompanied Winthrop to America, sailing from Yarmouth on 7 April. 14 May 1630 sworn as freeman. 26 Jul 1630 one of the earliest acts of the new government was the appointing of the first Thuirsday of every month as a general training day with Capt. John Underhill's company at Boston. 1640 Greenwich CT settled by John Underhill 1642 moved to Hattandr(?) 1641 at Hempstead 1642 was among the fathers of the new settlement in Wamped (?) Harbor 1642 had to sit on the "Stool of Repentance" 1643 Slew 500 Indians 1643 moved to Flushing 1644 signed the treaty of Bowling Green 1648 appointed sherif by the Dutch 1648-49 one of the 8 men to assist the Governor of New Netherlands 1653 hoisted the colors of Parliament. The attached portrait has been determined to be a fake. It is a copy of a Van Dyke portrait of Viscount Stafford.4 1655 settled at Oyster Bay 1657 at Southold LI 1665 delegate to Hempstead 1665 delegate to Oyster Bay 1665 appointed high sherif 14 Mar 1667 dischartged from military duty 1667 Date of Indian deed. His wife Helena died in 1658 in Southold, Long Island, NY, leaving him a widower.1 John Underhill married Elizabeth Feake, daughter of Robert Feake and Elizabeth Ann Fones, in 1659 in Flushing, New York.5 John Underhill died on 21 Jul 1672 in Oyster Bay, Long Island, NY, at age 74.1
|Helena Heijlken de Hooch b. 1 Oct 1597, d. 1658|
|Elizabeth Feake b. 1633, d. 1674|
|Charts||Ancestors of Ruth Kingsbury|
Amelia Earhart - Kingsbury & Townsend
Sources of Information
- Family tree titled "Vanvelsor", Long Island Genealogy, www.longislandusernames.com/genealogy, from database named Surname Databases of Long Island, updated Feb 2011, viewed Feb 2011.
- Wikipedia, On-line database of general knowledge contributed by the public www.en.wikipedia.org, article: Captain John Underhill, viewed Jun 2012.
- Mary Banning Friedlander, family tree titled "My American Heritage", http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mbfriedlander/, updated Sep 2001, viewed Dec 2005.
- Underhill Society, http://www.underhillsociety.org/
- Elroy Wilson Titus, compiler, A History of the Titus-Capron and Related Families, , (Columbus, Ohio: 1984) , p 169.
Dates using 'say' are educated guesses by me.
If I don't know a female last name she will be identified with a 'Mrs' and her husband's name.
MALE or FEMALE means I don't know the first name.